Pinterested?

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Classic Cheese Fondue

Football! Love it or leave it, it’s here to stay. 
There! This qualifies as the Perfunctory Pigskin Proclamation in Super Bowl Week, suggesting a level of knowledge I do not now and never will possess. Halfbacks … quarterbacks ... piggybacks (the guys who run around with the ball) ... touch downs ... smack downs ... eiderdowns ... It’s all the same to me, but I am given to understand that the New Zealand Patriots and the Oakland As (or is it the San Francisco Giants?) will be going at it this Super Bowl Sunday. 
My job (should I choose to accept it) is to prepare some Super Bowl snacks that I’ll blog today through Saturday. No pictures this time, Dollinks! If I actually ate all the stuff in my recipe file, let’s just say that I wouldn’t exactly have a tight end. In fact, I’d be larger than the Goodyear blimp. I will say that I’ve made these recipes in the past, and that every single one is delicious. So let’s sideline the usual nachos and chips as we make an end run for … 
Classic Cheese Fondue:

12 oz. Swiss Emmental cheese, coarsely grated (about 3 c.)
12 oz. Swiss Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated (about 3 c.)
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour or 1-½ tbsp. cornstarch or tapioca starch
3 c. dry white wine
1 large whole garlic clove
Coarsely ground pepper and nutmeg, to taste
Dash of salt
3 tbsp. Kirsch
2 Italian or French-style baguettes, cut into 1-in. cubes (see Note)
In a large bowl, combine grated cheese with flour or cornstarch. Set aside. Add wine and garlic to medium pot over high heat, boiling 1 or 2 min. before removing garlic with a slotted spoon. Reduce heat to simmer. stirring in grated cheese mixture one handful at  time, stirring between additions until melted and smooth. When all the cheese has been added and mixture is smooth, add Kirsch. Season to taste. Transfer to cheese fondue dish over lit flame, just so mixture barely simmers. Serve by dipping and twirling cubed bread into the hot cheese with long-stemmed fondue forks. Serves 6-to-8.
Note: For a healthier fondue, substitute chunks of fresh broccoli, cauliflower, or carrot spears for the bread.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole
    You have forgotten the most important thing about fondue! If you drop your bread you have to kiss all the men and vice versa.
    Maggi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me only 4-1/2 years to see this reply! I'll make some fondue AT ONCE!

      Delete

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!