Pinterested?

Monday, May 21, 2012

Lemon-Mustard Dipping Sauce

Well before shrimp and prawn farming, shrimp fishers dragged the ocean floor, their huge nets bringing up whatever happened to be there. As the fishers reeled in their nets, the shrimp went into the hold and the rest of the fish - all dead, of course - went back into the sea as an unwanted byproduct. I was on a commercial shrimp boat more years ago than I care to count, and remember the process as wasteful and hazardous. Three weeks after my time aboard with an experienced shrimper, the man fell from his boat and drowned.
Aquaculture has made shrimping and prawning far more efficient. It’s also brought down prices. All these thoughts tumbled through my mind as I recently prepared a dozen raw prawns for quick frying. I’m not trying to be maudlin or amusing when I say that each time I work with shrimp or prawns I quietly honor the memory of Tom Fukushima, the shrimp fisherman who drowned, all those years ago. 
Today’s recipes - one for Lemon-Mustard Dipping Sauce, the blog below for Seafood Cocktail Dipping Sauce - are my go-to secret appetizers when I’m pressed for time. Both are not only superb dipping sauces with prawns, but excellent served with any kind of seafood. 
I almost always have a bag of shelled and deveined jumbo prawns in the freezer. These thaw quickly rinsed in a sieve under cold water. Making each of these delicious sauces takes no more than 5 minutes. Each stores well in a covered jar. When I serve garlic-fried prawns on skewers, I often serve these dips alongside. This is a tremendously quick and exceptionally good appetizer, prepared even faster once the prawns have been thawed. When you serve these, give a moment’s pause for the animals - and the people - who have sacrificed their lives for our pleasure.
This first recipe comes from the Sunkist Growers Inc. of Sherman Oaks, California. I’ve used it as an accompaniment for salmon, tuna casserole, broccoli, and pork. It’s scrumptious!
Lemon-Mustard Dipping Sauce:
2 tbsp. butter or margarine
2 tbsp. flour
½ tsp. salt
⅛ tsp. pepper
1 c. hot water
1 tsp. prepared mustard (yellow ballpark mustard)
Grated peel and juice of ½ fresh lemon
½ c. mayonnaise
In a saucepan, melt butter. Remove from heat; stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Gradually blend in hot water and mustard. Cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened. Add lemon peel and juice. Remove from heat; blend in mayonnaise. Makes about 1-⅓ cups.

Click on this photo for a closer look! Garlic-Fried Prawns with
Lemon-Mustard and Seafood Cocktail Dipping Sauces

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!