Pinterested?

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Correction: “Roulade”

Assuming you follow the recipe and method exactly as written, nothing will go wrong.

Those are the words I wrote in this morning’s recipe post, and they’ve come back to bite me! I triple-check my recipes, but sometimes, not my thinking. I’ve corrected the error now, but it took reader Linda Boyd to point out that I’d incorrectly called a “roulade” a “rémoulade.” Let me explain: 

“rémoulade” is an aioli- or mayonnaise-based sauce. French was my first language, so I actually knew that. A “roulade” is usually meat wrapped around a filling. Todays recipe uses a spinach mixture wrapped around a filling, but it’s still a type of “roulade” - from the French “rouler,” which means “to roll.” 

Mea culpa, maxima mea culpa! Which is Latin, Dollinks. It’s a good thing I don’t have any Roman recipes, because things could get a little dicey if I suggested you “Bake at CDL deg. F. (CCXXXII deg. C) for XV-to-XX min.”

xox   Nicole

P.S.: Linda also comments that my boo-boo isn’t as bad as one by celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse. Her recollection is that when Emeril offered a recipe for “tapenade,” he instead blurted “tamponade.” Happy birthday, big boy! Emeril is 54, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!