Pinterested?

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Judy’s Mango Salad

My friend Judy Rosen makes the best salads I’ve ever tasted! She very kindly allowed me to pinch this recipe after making it for me at lunch last week. Judy served it with a small, perfect slice of heavy bread crusted with sesame seeds, and a slathering of hummus on top (For a delicious Hummus recipe, see my April 16, 2011 blog). I watched as Judy made this. The proportions are “what looks about right,” so I’ve guessed at what she did!
Judy Rosen, 
Salad Genius
Judy’s Mango Salad: 
2 c. fresh baby spinach
2 c. fresh mixed salad greens
1 ripe mango, peeled and cubed (see Note)
8 to 10 very thin asparagus spears, sliced into ¾-in. lengths
⅔ c. natural almonds, untoasted and with skins on
Combine salad greens with cubed mango and chopped, raw asparagus. Toss with 3 to 4 tbsp. Honey-Mustard Dressing (see my blog of July 23, 2011 titled Organic Pea Shoot Salad with Honey-Mustard Dressing) or Honey-Dijon Vinaigrette (see my blog titled Grilled Salmon Salad with Honey-Dijon Vinaigrette on May 8, 2011). Judy used the “Jamaican Mistake” brand of salad dressing, which is very similar to either of my recipes). Speaking of “mistakes,” the biggest one people make with salads is overdressing them. Add a couple of tablespoons … toss, toss, toss! If needed, a little more … toss, toss, toss! Keep going until the leaves glisten but aren’t soaked.
Now the almonds … Judy threw a couple of handfuls into her food processor and whirled them against its steel blade with a pulsing motion. This took just a few seconds. If you don’t have a food processor, use a knife. Some of the nuts became powdery; some were in small chunks. Judy sprinkled the nuts over both our plated salads before setting them on the table. This was the best salad I’ve ever eaten! Large restaurants have salad chefs … Judy should apply!

If you try this salad, join our Anonymous Taste Testers by leaving your comment at nicoleparton172@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!