Pinterested?

Monday, September 3, 2012

Spicy Pumpkin Loaf with Shiny Glaze

Spicy Pumpkin Loaf ... So good

I always double the recipe!

I’m checking in to grab the mail, pay some bills, and pack a few sandwiches before I go fishing, again. This delicious Spicy Pumpkin Loaf with Shiny Glaze is a reliable standby that I’m tucking into the tackle box … I hope you’ll try it for yourself! As a special treat, I sometimes top this excellent loaf with Buttercream Frosting, as I have in the photo (see my May 4, 2012 post). The Shiny Glaze I normally use to finish it is marvelous over fruit cakes, any quick bread, or yeast buns. 


It’s not pumpkin season in the Time Zone and at the Latitude Where I Live, but canned pumpkin is easily available year-round, as is home-frozen pumpkin. To make this loaf, I reached into my freezer and pulled out a small tub of last 

year’s pumpkin that I’d steamed, puréed, and frozen for exactly a time such as this. If you’ve never done that, the method is very simple. Check out How to Prepare Pumpkin Purée.


Having frozen or canned pumpkin on hand is very convenient. As pumpkin season approaches, don’t forget Ron’s rendition of Starbucks’ Glazed Pumpkin Scones (see my blog post May 1, 2011), my post for Classic Pumpkin Pie (Nov. 23, 2011), and my purloined recipe (“You’ll never get me alive, Copper!”) for Pumpkin Crème Brûlée (June 5, 2011). And so to begin.


Spicy Pumpkin Loaf with Shiny Glaze:


To Prepare the Loaf: 


1 tsp. (5 mL) baking soda

¼ tsp. (1.2 mL) salt

1 tsp. (5 mL) cinnamon

½ tsp. (2.5 mL) ground cloves

¾ tsp. (3.75 mL) ground ginger

½ tsp. (2.5 mL) nutmeg

2 eggs

¾ c. (180 mL) granulated sugar

¼ c. (60 mL) golden corn syrup

½ c. (125 mL) canola oil

1 c. (250 mL) pumpkin (canned or prepared at home … see post to follow)

½ c. (125 mL) raisins

½ c. (125 mL) chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 325 deg. F. Line bottom of greased 9x5-in. (23x13 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices; set aside. Beat eggs until light, adding sugar gradually until no grainy texture remains. Scrape down sides of bowl. 

Continuing to beat, add corn syrup, oil, and pumpkin. Slowly beat in dry ingredients, continuing to scrape down sides of bowl. 

In microwave-proof container (I use a Pyrex measuring cup), add a little cold water to raisins, cover lightly, and heat 30 sec. in microwave to “plump” them. Drain, cool, and fold into batter with chopped walnuts. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake 45-to-50 min., or until skewer inserted into center of loaf comes out clean. Leave loaf in pan 10 min. before turning onto cooling rack. Peel off paper, gently turning topside up on rack. Brush with glaze while still warm. This loaf cuts best when completely cool. Store in an airtight container.


To Prepare Shiny Glaze:


1/4 c. (60 mL) golden corn syrup

2 tbsp. (30 mL) water


Bring corn syrup and water just to a rolling boil. Remove from heat, brushing over warm loaf for a shiny finish. Cool thoroughly.


Note: This Pumpkin Loaf is so good that I always, always double the recipe, cutting and keeping one in the freezer, with the slices separated by waxed paper, ready to thaw in an instant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!