Pinterested?

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Deep-Fried Oreos

We’re now happily ensconced in a new home, a new kitchen, a new neighborhood, and a new attitude, which is ... 

I’ve decided that I hate cooking. I’ve done very little of it since we began the long task of packing, unpacking, and picture hanging (I’ve changed my mind so often that the walls look like a drive-by shooting). During these many months, we’ve eaten a lot of frozen pizza and visited a lot of fast-food joints. If I never see another hamburger, I’ll die a happy woman.  

Speaking of dying, a member my cooking team has. We tried everything to revive Frankie, but after eating too much too often, he blew up like the puffer fish he wasn’t. RIP, little friend. 

Getting back into the kitchen hasn’t been easy, especially now that I’ve developed a taste for junk food. What could possibly be worse than Deep-Fried Oreos? I’ve made it my life’s mission to find out. 

Deep-Fried Oreos:

Oil … Lots and lots of greasy, fatty oil 
1-1/2 c. (375 mL) pancake batter 
12-to-15 Oreo cookies (see Note)
2 tbsp. (10 mL) sifted icing sugar (powdered sugar)
Jell-O instant pudding, vanilla flavor, 6-serving size
3 tbsp. (45 mL) Irish Cream liqueur 

Heat oil to 350 deg. F. in deep-fat fryer or heavy pan with high sides. Do not test temperature with finger. Prepare pancake batter the usual way, courtesy of Aunt Jemima. Plunge Oreos into batter and immediately into oil, turning once until lightly golden, about 1 min. Remove with slotted spoon, transferring to wire rack. When completely cool, dust with sifted icing sugar.

Prepare Jell-O instant pudding as package directs, substituting Irish Cream for 3 tbsp. of the milk the recipe calls for. Refrigerate until pudding sets, about 15 min. 

Note: Resist the urge to split the Oreos and lick off the cream at the center. As everyone knows, you can do that only in the privacy of your bedroom closet, in the garage, or under a blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!