Pinterested?

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dark ’n’ Stormy

A few years ago, I lived next door to a glamorous, exotic, talented, and worldly woman who knew a little about a lot of things. One of the things Mairuth knew about was home-made ginger beer - she gave me her recipe, but I have yet to try it. Although ginger beer is commercially available and perfect for the recipe that follows, she used her home-made variety to prepare a drink as exotic as she was: A Dark ’n’ Stormy. She’d enjoyed this drink in places as far-flung as Bermuda and Papua New Guinea. And here’s how to make it!

Dark ’n’ Stormy:

One chilled highball glass 
1-½ oz. dark rum (see Note)
Ice, as desired
Ginger beer, to top off
½ a whole lime per glass

Measure rum into glass, adding ice cubes. Add ginger beer to an inch below top of glass. Halve a whole lime, popping it directly into glass. Add cocktail straw and serve. Yields 1.



Note: The traditional, Bermudian drink is made with Gosling’s Black Seal Rum. No one sells it in the Time Zone and at the Latitude where I live, so I use the darkest rum I can find. As the legend goes, the “storm” doesn’t subside until you finish the drink!

1 comment:

  1. I have had many Dark n’ Stormy’s in Bermuda over the years…truly wonderful ……..I buy the ginger beer in Bermuda and bring it home with me!!! The rum that we use is the Bermuda Black Seal Rum! Yummy!! To garnish the glass, my Uncle would go into the garden to pick a fresh strawberry banana (they are tiny). He'd slide it on the glass length wise, topping it off with a cherry on the end of the banana!! Of course lime from the tree outside was also used and perhaps a small slice would also be floating in your drink! Very exotic!

    Cathy Dietrich, Mercedes, TX

    ReplyDelete

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!