Pinterested?

Sunday, October 25, 2020

Roasted Butternut Squash with Pecans

I adapted this recipe from one that appeared on inspiredtaste.net - a charming site that reeled me in with its great photos and interesting recipes. But after diverging and diverging and diverging from a filled squash recipe on that site, I found no reason to say I’d used one of the site’s recipes. Filling squash with ground meat, a sauce, veggies, or nuts is not uncommon. So  here’s what I arrived at by using what was in my cupboard at the time. I must add that it was delicious … I’ll definitely make this again! Pecans can be expensive … Use walnuts, if you prefer.


Roasted Butternut Squash with Pecans:


1 medium acorn squash (each approx. 5 in. or 12.7 cm long)

1-t- 2 tbsp. (15-to-30 mL) canola oil

3 tbsp. (45 mL) demerara sugar

Salt and freshly ground pepper

2 tbsp. (30 mL) butter or margarine

3 tbsp. (45 mL) roughly chopped pecans, lightly toasted


Preheat oven to 400 deg. F. (I used a toaster oven). Cut unpeeled squash in half,  scooping out seeds with a grapefruit knife. Slice each half into another half. You will now have four wedges. 


Place wedges on parchment-lined baking sheet or toaster oven tray. Brush with oil. Press sugar into cavity of each wedge, seasoning lightly. Bake (see Note) until soft, 25-to-30 min.


As squash bakes, melt butter in small pan. Add lightly toasted pecans, cooking 20-to-30 sec. Spoon into center of each squash wedge. Serve hot. Yields 2 servings. 


Note: The word “Roasted” sounds more compelling than good ol’ “Baked,” so I’ve used it.


We grew this fat little squash in our garden!

Scoop out the seed-filled centers. 

And cut in half again. 

Brush a little oil ...  

On the inner surface of the squash.


Fill with demerara sugar; season lightly.


Serve hot. One small squash serves 2.

2 comments:

  1. Nicole, this looks delicious, and so easy even I could make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can and will! This will work with any type of squash. Give it a go and let me know how things went. xox Nicole

      Delete

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!