Pinterested?

Friday, September 30, 2022

Tartar Sauce

Wha-a-at??? I’ve never given you this recipe? I can hardly believe it! It’s one of my very favorite fish sauces. If you don’t like tartar sauce, chances are you’ve had only the commercially made kind ... This one, you’ll definitely like.

Tartar Sauce:


1/2 c. (250 mL) mayonnaise

1 tbsp. (15 mL) finely chopped dill pickle, drained and blotted dry

1 tbsp. (15 mL) fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste

1 tbsp. (15 mL) capers, drained and chopped

1 tbsp. (15 mL) fresh dill or 1 tsp. (5 mL) dried dill, chopped fiine

1/2-to-1 tsp. (1.25-to-5 mL) Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL) Dijon mustard, optional

1/4-to-1/2 tsp. (1.2 mL-to-2.5 mL) cornstarch, (if needed; this quantity may also need to be slightly increased; see reader Comment Note at foot of recipe)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste


In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, pickle, lemon juice, capers, dill, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Stir until well blended and creamy. Season with a salt and pepper, to taste. 


Whisk in cornstarch, simmering with a small amount of Tartar Sauce about 1 min., or until slightly thickened. Combine well with remaining sauce. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hr., to blend flavors. Store, covered and refrigerated up to 1 week. 


If you like this recipe, be sure to try my Seafood Cocktail Sauce! 




2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole! I'm not sure I understand the cornstarch note. Can you clarify? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Tartar Sauce is occasionally "runny". A little too much pickle or lemon juice?A mayo slightly "looser" than your usual brand? When this happens, I've added a little cornstarch. Yor polite comment has drawn my attention to an error I've made in my tsp.-to-mL conversion. I've now fixed that. Thank you, Therese!

    ReplyDelete

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!