Pinterested?

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Rainbow Veggie Salad

As I pawed through the refrigerator’s produce drawer this week, I came across a red onion, a few parsley sprigs, a celery stalk, some fresh broccoli, and a small spear of papaya.
Rainbow Veggie Salad: Ready to serve in minutes!
What I
really wanted was a slice of banana cream pie: I poked through the fridge expecting one might magically appear (And why wouldn’t I? If the ads on television are to be believed, women yank open their microwave ovens and refrigerators to find a male chef inside, handing them a fully prepared meal. Women in similar ads talk to the sponges that clean their floors and to the dancing paper towels that suck up their messes. All I wanted was a simple slab of pie! No luck).

As I stared at that handful of ingredients, I realized that by opening a can of kernel corn, I could easily turn the assemblage into a salad rich in healthful antioxidants. So here’s the quick and easy salad I invented on the spot. It was so colorful that I named it Rainbow Veggie Salad. As you probably know, the more color and variety you include in your daily diet, the healthier you will be and the more energy you will have. Fruits and vegetables pack a solid, one-two punch for good nutrition.  
Rainbow Veggie Salad:
11-½ fl. oz. (341 mL) whole kernel corn, well drained
¼ c. (60 mL) red onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp. (15 mL) fresh parsley (no stems), very finely chopped
1 stalk celery, with a few leaves, diced
¼ red bell pepper (also known as “capsicum”), diced
3 or 4 crisp broccoli flowerets, roughly chopped
1 papaya spear, chopped (optional. If you have a fresh apple, peach, or pear, dice and add that, instead)
Combine and toss all ingredients. Dress with Summer-Fresh Lime Vinaigrette. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!