Pinterested?

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

How to Peel and Prepare Garlic in Quantity

I was thinking about garlic, this morning … Doesn’t everyone? (No, they don’t). Recipes occasionally call for “grated garlic” - a  nuisance! Below is what those recipes mean when they say that. 

When I work with a quantity of garlic, I use use three favorite tools: A garlic peeler, a self-cleaning garlic press, and a beautiful little rough-sided dish I bought at a farmer’s market in France. My friend Alice bought me another: I love them both. Those little dishes are garlic graters. 


Now and then, you’ll see teeny-weeny toy-sized garlic graters: Use them at your peril, unless you’re okay with having blood spurt from your index and middle fingers.   


As I reached for a fresh garlic clove yesterday, I thought about those handy tools. The humble garlic clove, as you likely know, is a section of a garlic bulb. I was in no hurry to make dinner, so thought: “Why not?” and began to section and skin three large bulbs - perhaps 40 cloves - on the premise that a few minutes’ work now would make things easier when I needed a garlic clove and didn’t have as much time as I had then. 


Ta dah! That’s where my time-saving tools came in!


If I have just one or two garlic cloves to peel, I won’t bother getting out my garlic peeler: Approximately 1 tsp. (5 mL) of grated or minced garlic equals one medium clove. 


But when I prepare garlic in bulk, a garlic peeler is very useful tool. Resembling a large, floppy cannelloni made of soft, flexible, rubberized material, a garlic peeler will quickly separate garlic cloves from their skins. The peeler hastens a tedious job and keeps your fingers free of garlic smells. Voilà! Buy one.


Do you have a garlic press? Mine wasn’t expensive. I paid $17 for it in a restaurant-supply house in Washington state - more than you’d pay for an “ordinary” garlic press of lesser quality, but less than I expected to pay for what I got (These have now risen in price, but not wildly. If your local kitchen store doesn’t stock them, Amazon does, online). 


That’s my garlic press in the second photo. Unlike ordinary garlic presses (I sound like an Infomercial!), this heavy-duty press has two compartments - one to mince, one to slice - as well as two large hammers that bear down on the cloves and a small plastic press that cleans the garlic residue from each hole in the press. 


And here’s the mark of smart design: The plastic press tucks away for storage into a small depression of the garlic press, so you’ll never misplace it. I’m very, very happy with this kitchen tool. 


When an accident left one of my hands weaker than the other, I realized my former garlic press required more strength than I had. With this heavy-duty press, a light squeeze does the job. Its brand name is “Amco Houseworks.” (And now I sound like a shill!)


What do I do with all that peeled, minced garlic, Nicole? I thought you’d never ask! There it is, in the jar in the third photo, and there’s my hand, pouring olive oil over it - just enough to cover and preserve the minced cloves. Label and date. 


A labeler is one of my favorite kitchen tools: I date and label everything! So into the fridge go my jars of whole or grated garlic cloves! No processing or canning required … Just screw the lid on the jar.


I’ve safely stored garlic cloves in olive oil for one year. 


Once the cloves are all used up, the remaining garlic-flavored oil is delicious in salads or for dipping slices of baguette (with or without balsamic vinegar). 


I love the little plate I bought at a farmer’s market in Provence France so much that my friend Alice bought me another! These lovely little plates are ceramic garlic graters.


The word “ail” inscribed on the yellow plate means “garlic” in French. The idea is to rub a peeled garlic clove over the rough part of the plate. Stir in a little soft butter, and you’ve got garlic butter. Frankly, I find this too much work, but I like the plates and use them for other purposes - like pouring in my garlic-infused oil for dipping that baguette! 


The garlicky oil also makes a great salad dressing, as well as adding flavor to Pesto Crostini.  


Garlic peeler.

Garlic press.

Olive oil over minced garlic.

Whole garlic in olive oil.

Garlic graters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!