Pinterested?

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mango Salsa Chicken Breasts


Mango Salsa Chicken Breasts are a party in your mouth!
These fast and easy chicken breasts take only 45 minutes from start to finish. The high baking temperature and crumb coating seal in the juices, resulting in moist, tender meat. The piquant flavor … yada-yada-yada! Oh, Dollinks, I’m bereft (that is a French culinary term meaning I’m stuck here cooking while everyone else is having fun). Let me dab at my eyes. When I said “salsa” Ron thought I meant dancing, and he organized this … this .. event and finally I had to throw everyone into the parking lot because I couldn’t even think with all the music and mayhem in my kitchen:



So then I said “chicken” and Ron thought I was suggesting he was timid, so he jumped up and began playing the piano for our guests: 



So then I said “breasts” and Ron cleared everyone out pretty fast and said I should exit the kitchen pronto


So now I have to dash and am glad this recipe’s so quick! I’m also glad I don’t have to make it to serve 168 guests and one dog, all of whom were salsa dancing because of one little miscommunication. This amount was enough for the two of us. Ron wanted another breast and maybe a thigh or leg, but I said he’d have to do the dishes, first.
Mango Salsa Chicken Breasts:
To Prepare the Chicken:
2 boneless, skinless half-breasts of chicken
2 tbsp. low-fat yogurt
½ tsp. lime juice
1-½ tsp. cornstarch or tapioca starch
1-½ tsp. dried basil (or 1 tbsp. chopped fresh)
2 tbsp. fine dried bread crumbs
1 tbsp. finely grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 deg. F. In a small bowl, marinate chicken breasts 5 min. in a mixture of yogurt, lime juice, starch, and basil. In a second bowl, coat marinated breasts with combined bread crumbs and cheese. Bake 35 min. I did this in my toaster oven.
To Prepare the Salsa:
½ tsp. olive oil
½ small onion, finely chopped
1 mild red jalapeño pepper, very finely chopped, with seeds
½ c. mango chutney (the store-bought kind)
1 tbsp. lime juice
¼ c.  chopped fresh cilantro (“coriander”)
½ tsp. dried basil (or 2 tsp. chopped fresh)
Prepare salsa while chicken bakes. Heat olive oil on medium-low in small skillet, stirring in onion and pepper until softened, about 5 min. Lower heat. Stir in remaining ingredients, just to warm and combine. Serve on the side, with chicken. Serves 2. 

Marinate breasts in seasoned yogurt

Bread chicken breasts

Bake 35 min. at 400 deg. F.

Start preparing salsa 

Chop, chop, chop, chop, chop!

Fry onion and pepper just until soft, about 5 min.

Chop some cilantro and stir in

Add a little mango chutney ...

... And combine, warming slightly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!