Pinterested?

Friday, February 7, 2014

Ron’s Famous Whiskey BBQ Salmon

Salmon and whiskey  It doesnt get any better than this! Ron insists the only rye whiskey to use is Crown Royal, but I think that’s bulls wax. I’m sure any quality whiskey will do very nicely, thank you. Ron also says everyone asks for seconds when salmon is marinated this way. That I don’t doubt.*

Ron’s Famous Whiskey BBQ Salmon:


This recipe requires extra time for marination

1 large salmon fillet, skin left on

To Prepare the Marinade:

2 cups demerara sugar
6 cloves garlic, crushed
½ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. dry mustard
1 c. rye whiskey
2 tbsp. ketchup
3-in. piece of ginger, peeled, sliced and crushed
1 c. canola oil

Combine marinade ingredients, stirring well. Lay salmon fillet skin-side down in rectangular glass dish or lidded marinade container. Cover with marinade, refrigerating at least 3 hr. Barbecue salmon at medium heat with top of BBQ closed. Do not turn over. Salmon is done when flesh is opaque and fat rises to the top. Fillets over 2 in. in thickness should be marinated overnight.

Shortly after writing this post, Ron served his Famous Whiskey BBQ Salmon to dinner guests and to me. Wow! The name is well deserved. This is one of the best - if not the best - salmon marinades Ive ever had. Five stars, Ron!


Ron chose a fresh slab of sockeye salmon, also known as
red salmon or blueback. Spring - also called chinook, king,
tyee, or Quinnat 
salmon - is another excellent choice.

Let the marination begin!


Done to perfection!

Tomorrow: Back from a three-week break, I need a break! The house is a mess, I am a mess, and cooking is far from my mind. I’ll return once I get myself sorted out. Frankie’s been hooked on Cheezies and Doritos ever since the Super Bowl. He came on vacation with us, but now he’s off to rehab to join his old pal, Sadie. 

If Frankie and Sadie have you scratching your head, put each name, one at a time, into the search engine at the top left of this page. If I have you scratching your head, then I’ve got more problems than I thought.  xox  Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!