Pinterested?

Monday, April 10, 2023

Ron’s Oven-Roasted Yams

This is the single best yam recipe I’ve ever tasted. This super-great dish uses only three ingredients: Orange-fleshed yams, olive oil, and seasoning salt. One large yam yields enough for two adults. 

Even those not partial to yams will instantly become converts. The natural sugar in the yams caramelizes under the high temperature at which they bake. Don’t worry if a few pieces char ... They’ll taste even better!  


Ron’s Oven-Roasted Yams:


1 large yam, peeled and diced 3/4-in. (1.9 cm)   

1/4 c. (60 mL) olive oil

2 tbsp. (30 mL) Cajun seasoning or seasoning salt


Preheat oven’s convect setting to 400 deg. F.  on oven’s convection setting. Place prepared yams in medium bowl (see Note). Combine olive oil and Cajun seasoning or seasoning salt, pouring over yams and stirring until diced yams are evenly coated.


Use baking sheet with no parchment paper. Bake, uncovered, 50 min., flipping two or three times as yams roast. Omitting the parchment paper allows the yam to caramelize, rather than sweat and steam. Serves 2.


Flavor Note: Some like it hot! You can always add a shake of chili powder, another of onion powder, and another of garlic powder. But the recipe above is how Ron and I like it. 


History Note: In days gone by, orange-fleshed yams and yellow-fleshed sweet potatoes were considered distinctly different.  Today, everything seems to be called a sweet potato. Don’t use the yellow-fleshed kind for this recipe.

3 comments:

  1. I made these last night for dinner. They turned out nicely browned, unlike the mushy ones I’ve tried before. Thank you for all your recipes. I always enjoyed your What’s On My Mind blog as well as Vancouver Sun column years ago. I hope you are enjoying retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Deb! It's good to hear this feedback. Retirement? I write each day. I loved writing What's on My Mind, but didn't feel its low readership was worth the time. Nicole Parton's Favirite Recipes as my personal cookbook. I'm in the throes of making font and metric changes to the blog; I'll later expand and incorporate One Click. This is a very big job! I'm presently working on 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Typos! What I meant to say was that my "Favorite Recipes" blog is my personal cookbook.

    ReplyDelete

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!