Pinterested?

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sangria Blanca

Yesterday, I related a little story about my “modest” consumption of Sangria (Here comes Little Miss Goody Two-Shoes!). Ah, but things were different when I invited my daughter and two friends to a summer lunch! Setting my nibblies and drinks table under the trees in my former garden, I brought out a pitcher of Sangria. I’m a light drinker, but the afternoon was hot and the Sangria was cold. To my surprise, everyone declined to drink. I expected my guests to love Sangria as much as I do, so I’d quadrupled the recipe. Moreover, I’d made so much that by the time I filled the pitcher with fruit, wine, orange-flavored liqueur, and ice, there was no room for the necessary club soda to dilute it.

My garden and apartment were minuscule, but ...

I nonetheless called them "Versailles"

If you can't "find" happiness and contentment, create it!
Click on the photos to enlarge them
It frankly never occurred to me to pour a modest glass of the powerful stuff and add ice and soda, so I downed the contents of the pitcher straight. Sitting in the sun as we were, it was so refreshing and tasted so delicious that I had another. And another. Weaving unsteadily into the house, I set out the first course for lunch - Chef Gunther Gugelmeyer’s Chilled Rhubarb Soup (see my post of April 16, 2011). Calling everyone to the larger table I’d set indoors, I thought it might be a nice idea to rest my head a wee while - beside my soup bowl. 

My friends and mortified daughter walked me to bed, where I immediately sprawled, snoring loudly. My guests found the notes I’d hidden in a drawer so I wouldn't forget anything, and used them to cobble together their own meals. I awoke after everyone had left. When I think of Sangria Blanca, I recall the words of the late, great Mae West: “I used to be Snow White, but I’ve drifted.”

Sangria Blanca:

½ c. granulated sugar
½ c. freshly squeezed lemon juice, chilled 
One 26-oz. (715 mL) bottle dry white wine, chilled
½ c. freshly squeezed orange juice, chilled
¼ c. orange-flavored liqueur
1 lemon, unpeeled, sliced 
Ice cubes, as required
Club soda, chilled, as required
Strawberries and sliced orange twists, as garnish
Mint sprigs, as garnish

In a small saucepan over low heat, dissolve sugar in lemon juice. Chill and pour into large pitcher. Stir in wine, orange juice, orange-flavored liqueur, lemon slices, and ice cubes. Top with club soda. Pour into tall glasses garnished with strawberries, orange twists, and/or mint sprigs. Yields about 8 servings. 

2 comments:

  1. LOL!!! This sounds like a fantastic drink to share with my girl friends. ... I will definitely try it and I do have a shady tree we can sit under. Love the Mae West comment.

    Thanks Nicole!

    Teresa Lees

    PS I'm having difficulty posting this...so using anonymous..is there an easier way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Teresa: I always appreciate it when readers take the time to drop me a note.

      You've inspired me to post a photo of the "secret garden" I had a few years ago - a hidden place behind a high brick wall on a busy street in an even busier neighborhood. My shrubs, flowers, and trees attracted songbirds throughout the day. Over time, I installed a small goldfish pond and waterfall, beside which I read and listened to music under the shade of the trees. I'll post a couple of photos as soon as I finish this reply.

      You probably posted your note underneath this recipe, which is why I've read it here. Yes, posting under "Anonymous" certainly works, but I always appreciate having a first name. Your other alternative is to post is directly to nicoleparton172@gmail.com Unfortunately, I have no means of replying if you do that, because Google keeps your email address confidential - even from MY prying eyes! So posting a comment under a recipe really is the best way.

      Because my readership is worldwide, the one thing I'd love to know is from which city or country you're writing.

      And now I'll post a few shots of my lovely little garden and pond! When I moved to that small place several years ago, the ground was rock hard from lack of water, heaped with garbage, broken pots, and even a dead, discarded Christmas tree. My garden was very small, but I firmly believe it is possible to create an oasis of beauty and tranquility almost anywhere - xox Nicole

      Delete

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!