Pinterested?

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sangria Blanca

In greater detail, the story of my “modest” consumption of Sangria (Here comes Little Miss Goody Two-Shoes!). Ah, but things were different when I invited my daughter and two friends to a summer lunch! Setting a nibblies and drinks table under the trees in my former garden, I brought out a pitcher of Sangria

I’m a light drinker, but the afternoon was hot and the Sangria was cold. To my surprise, everyone declined to drink. I expected my guests to love Sangria as much as I do, so I’d quadrupled the recipe. Moreover, I’d made so much that by the time I filled the pitcher with fruit, wine, orange-flavored liqueur, and ice, there was no room for the club soda to dilute it.

My garden and apartment were minuscule, but ...





I called the place “Versailles.”


And loved it! Happiness comes from within.
It frankly never occurred to me to pour a modest glass of the powerful stuff and add ice and soda, so I downed the contents of the pitcher straight. Sitting in the sun as we were, it was so refreshing and tasted so delicious that I had another. And another. Weaving unsteadily into the house, I set out the first course for lunch - Chef Gunther Gugelmeyer’s Chilled Rhubarb Soup. Calling everyone to the larger table I’d set indoors, I thought it might be a nice idea to rest my head a wee while - beside my soup bowl. 

My friends and mortified daughter walked me to bed, where I immediately sprawled, snoring loudly. My guests found the notes I’d hidden in a drawer so I wouldn't forget anything, and used them to cobble together their own meals. I awoke after everyone had left. When I think of Sangria Blanca, I recall the words of the late, great Mae West: “I used to be Snow White, but I’ve drifted.” 

Sangria Blanca:

½ c. granulated sugar
½ c. freshly squeezed lemon juice, chilled 
One 26-oz. (715 mL) bottle dry white wine, chilled
½ c. freshly squeezed orange juice, chilled
¼ c. orange-flavored liqueur
1 lemon, unpeeled, sliced 
Ice cubes, as required
Club soda, chilled, as required
Strawberries and sliced orange twists, as garnish
Mint sprigs, as garnish

In a small saucepan over low heat, dissolve sugar in lemon juice. Chill and pour into large pitcher. Stir in wine, orange juice, orange-flavored liqueur, lemon slices, and ice cubes. Top with club soda. Pour into tall glasses garnished with strawberries, orange twists, and/or mint sprigs. Yields about 8 servings. 

For other Sangria suggestions, see One Click: Sangria.