Pinterested?

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Five-Minute Chocolate Fudge

My very favorite fudge? The one I’m having right now! Having said that, I don’t eat fudge often, and like my candy recipes to be as simple as possible! Today and tomorrow, I’m featuring some tried-and-true holiday fudge and candy - starting with the Five-Minute Chocolate Fudge I first made in 1969 and have made every year since because it’s so easy and delicious! 
Yesterday, Ron and I had a fudge-related discussion about higher mathematics - specifically, how many pieces I could get from an 8-in. square pan. He calculated that I could get 64 chunks of fudge cut into 1-in. squares - but that’s too small. He said I could get 16 pieces cut into 2-in. squares - but that’s too big. So I decided to cut each pan of fudge into 36 squares of 1-⅓-in. Ron didn’t like that. He thought I should cut each pan into 25 1-½ inch square pieces, so he could eat the leftovers on the side of the pan. 
Note: Fudge cut into 1-in. squares will nicely fit into foil or frilled paper candy wrappers. Or into your mouth.
This recipe makes 2 lb. of firm-but-creamy chocolate fudge. This is my single-favorite fudge recipe: It just wouldn’t be the holidays without this special treat! It makes a great gift, too.
Five-Minute Chocolate Fudge:
2 tbsp. butter
⅔ c. evaporated milk
1-⅔ c. granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
2 c. (4 oz.) miniature marshmallows 
1-½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla
½ c. chopped nuts
Combine butter, evaporated milk, sugar, and salt over medium heat in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook 5 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in marshmallows, chocolate chips, vanilla, and nuts. Stir 1-to-2 min., or until marshmallows melt. Pour into buttered 8-in. square pan. Lightly score into 1-in. squares, pressing half a glace cherry or a walnut half into each square while still warm. Before completely cool, cut each square completely through. Refrigerate until firm. To serve, warm to room temperature. 

- With thanks to the Carnation Company

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to find a long-lost favorite recipe? Want to submit one of yours, or simply leave a comment? Always happy to hear from you!